Focused on the art and science of IP
Focused on the art and science of IP
Marshall, Gerstein & Borun LLP is dedicated to intellectual property law and has had this exclusive focus since it was founded in 1955. The Firm protects, enforces and transfers the intellectual property of its clients in more than 100 countries on six continents.
We understand the hard science behind our clients’ innovations, and have the technical skills and business acumen to work with them hand-in-hand.
- More than 90% of our attorneys and patent agents are admitted to practice before the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office.
- More than 90% of our attorneys have science and engineering degrees.
- More than 80% of our agents and technical specialists have a Ph.D. or other advanced technical degrees.
We also understand how to devise, evaluate and execute an intellectual property strategy. Nearly half of our professionals have been in-house as general counsel, patent counsel, technology transfer managers, scientists, engineers and consultants. Our ability to understand the nuances of intellectual property law, science and business enables us to provide sound advice to our clients.
Clients also turn to us for the most visible, high-stakes intellectual property cases, to minimize their risk of third party intellectual property assertions and to provide solid defenses that stand the test of time. It is our experience and practice to partner with our clients to develop defense theories and litigation strategies that achieve their objectives with economy of service.
- Chambers USA ranked Marshall, Gerstein & Borun LLP in 2012 as a top intellectual property law firm that is "highly-focused on patent matters." Chambers ranks Marshall, Gerstein & Borun in 2011 as an IP boutique best recognized for patent, trademark and copyright protection and litigation. Chambers ranks Marshall, Gerstein & Borun in 2010 as a "Highly regarded boutique [providing] a comprehensive service." Sources say, "A group which enjoys understanding the science side and gets results by adopting a creative approach." Chambers quoted sources in 2010 as saying "They go out of their way to build relationships," in 2009 that the Firm is "first-rate for litigation and transactional work" and in 2008 that the Firm has "one of the best biotechnology practices in the entire country."
- U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers ranks Marshall, Gerstein & Borun as a Chicago metropolitan first-tier "Best Law Firm," 2010-2013.
- Marshall, Gerstein & Borun ranks among the "World’s Leading Intellectual Property Practices" for patents, biotechnology and trademarks according to Managing IP’s World IP Survey, 2010-2013.
- The Firm is recognized among leading law firms and attorneys in the life sciences sector by Managing Intellectual Property’s LMG Life Sciences 2012. Managing partner Jeffrey S. Sharp and partners David A. Gass and Li-Hsien (Lily) Rin-Laures, M.D., are recognized as Life Sciences Stars by LMG Life Sciences for their outstanding patent work in life sciences.
- Marshall, Gerstein & Borun’s attorneys are recognized among the "World’s Leading Patent Practitioners" in the Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) Patent 1000 list in 2012, among the "World’s Leading Intellectual Property Strategists" in the IAM Strategy 300 list, 2012, 2011, 2010 and 2009 and among the "World’s Leading Patent and Technology Licensing Lawyers" in the IAM Licensing 250 list in 2010-2012.
- Marshall, Gerstein & Borun was rated among the top firms for trademark practice in Chicago and the United States by World Trademark Review, WTR 1000, 2011-2013.
- Ranked in the top quartile of "Top Patent Firms" by Intellectual Property Today, 2012.
- Marshall, Gerstein & Borun is ranked as a "Go-To Law Firm of the Top 500 Companies" for intellectual property, Corporate Counsel magazine 2008-2013.
- Corporate counsel select Marshall, Gerstein & Borun as a "Go-To Law Firm of the Top U.S. Companies" for intellectual property legal services in Fortune magazine, 2010.
Clients from Fortune 250 corporations, multinational businesses, start-up organizations and non-profits turn to Marshall, Gerstein & Borun. The Firm strives to develop and maintain long-term relationships with our clients. For example, we have advised The Procter & Gamble Company for 25 years, Shop-Vac Corporation for more than 20 years and Amgen Inc. since it was founded in 1980. Additional examples of well-known and long-term clients of the Firm are listed below.
- BASF Group
- CDW Corporation
- Emerson Electric Co.
- Illumina, Inc.
- The Nielsen Company
We represent clients in industries including:
- Chemical Sciences
- Cleantech and Renewables
- Consumer Products
- Electrical and Software Engineering
- Internet and Cyberlaw
- Materials Science
- Mechanical Engineering
- Medical Devices
- Non-Profit Technology Transfer