Practices & Industries
Industry Based Solutions
Distinguishing the Subtleties that Define Patentabililty
Securing patents for mechanical inventions is a special discipline at which Marshall, Gerstein & Borun lawyers excel. We combine legal knowledge, technical insights and practical industry experience to creatively assist you and your company with the difficult challenge of identifying and championing subtle product distinctions that qualify for patentability.
We look for unique arguments that highlight or complement the creativity that your inventors bring to product development, and can proactively strategize to position your patents so as to deter potential infringers, entice licensees, and impress customers who value innovative solutions.
Our fluency in the language of mechanical engineering enables us to grasp and define the complexities of mechanical and electro-mechanical devices. We work closely with your design, engineering and production specialists, using our diverse backgrounds in the mechanical and electrical arts, giving you the advantage of litigation and patent prosecution skill sets in one team for maximum collaboration.
Even when applying for patent protection for subtle improvements, our prosecution strategies can make a major difference in the long run. That’s why manufacturers of mechanical products in the aerospace, construction, consumer product, industrial equipment, oilfield equipment and printing sectors – among many others – rely on Marshall, Gerstein & Borun to give them the best value in maximizing the utility of their mechanical patent portfolio.
- A typical example of the mechanical technology clients we represent is Tuf-Tite, Inc., an industry-leading manufacturer of drainage and septic components and accessories. We helped this innovative company protect a product called a stackable riser for access to underground onsite septic tank and drainage systems, a prosecution success that our client considered instrumental in securing the kind of market share that supported developing a state-of-the-art manufacturing facility for its entire line of products. Production is now handled using highly-automated injection molding systems that are robotically linked to conveyors leading to packaging and shipping operations. The right mechanical patent was the foundation, and our representation made the difference.
- A Fortune 500 and one of the largest food processing and distribution companies in the world looks to Marshall, Gerstein & Borun to help manage its intellectual property portfolio. We worked with the client to develop a comprehensive, well-directed IP-audit plan that discovered how best to categorize and strengthen our client’s intellectual property business procedures. We assisted the client in aligning its intellectual property strategies with its corporate goals, and in developing procedures to effectively identify potentially patentable inventions developed within the company. The Firm determined efficiencies that were not apparent, nor foreseen at the outset of the project, providing this industry leader with an enhanced foundation from which to build upon its valuable intellectual property patent portfolio.
- Ashridge & Roseburgh Inc.
- Amgen Inc.
- BASF Group
- B-O-F Corporation
- Caterpillar Inc.
- Chicago Bridge & Iron Company
- Emerson Electric Co.
- General Kinematics Corporation
- Goss International Corporation
- Krones AG
- NorthShore University HealthSystem
- The Procter & Gamble Company
- S&S Truck Parts
- SSW Holding Co.
- Shop-Vac Corporation
- Tenneco Inc.
- Tuf-Tite, Inc.
- USG Corporation
- University of Michigan