Practices & Industries
Industry Based Solutions
Cleantech and Renewables
Securing the Technology for a Greener World
Our attorneys were working to secure the intellectual property that will serve as the foundation for a better tomorrow well before green technology or cleantech was recognized as an industry. Standing at the intersection of science, sustainability, and the protection of intellectual property, we pride ourselves at being able to work with our clients to select the right path for them. Drawing on our knowledge and experience in many different technical disciplines, we use an integrated team approach to providing legal advice that draws on the best we have to offer in the mechanical, electrical, chemical and biotechnological arts.
In general terms, we deal with:
- Alternative energy production.
- Energy conservation and storage.
- Environmental purification, protection or remediation.
- Carbon capture or sequestration, pollution credit trading, and recycling.
- Climate change abatement.
In particular, we represent non-profits, emerging technology companies and individual inventors in securing protection for fuel cell, geothermal, solar, smart battery, wind, tidal/wave and cogeneration inventions. The handling and processing of biomass is a special area of emphasis, in particular in relation to its conversion to biofuels. For example, we have experience with conversion of biowaste and cellulosic materials into biofuels.
Our attorneys continually look for ways to use the tools provided by the various patent authorities in the most cost-effective manner possible. For example, our clients were among the first to benefit from the United States Patent and Trademark Office’s Green Technology Pilot Program to reduce the time between the filing of their applications and their issuance. In conjunction with this program, we are using the various Patent Prosecution Highways to leverage success in one country into a faster examination in many countries.
Of course, we are more than just patent attorneys. Our transactional attorneys are skilled in drafting agreements to deal with confidential disclosures, material transfers, and intellectual property asset assignments and licenses. In addition, we can handle your trademark and domain name registration issues. Whatever the need, Marshall, Gerstein & Borun will be your partner in securing, defending, enforcing and transferring intellectual property rights that support sustainable, socially responsible technology.
- Generating a high voltage electrical field several thousand times per second, our client's Focused Pulsed (FP) Technology helps eliminate waste from wastewater. What’s more, their FP Technology converts that waste into a form that facilitates its efficient conversion into energy. As a result, their technology is an all-around “green” win – cleaner water is returned to the environment, less waste is sent to landfills, and more energy is available from alternative sources. At the same time, we worked side-by-side with our client to make sure that the FP Technology is an all-around winner at the Patent Office as well. With a number of patents already issued on their core technology, we have helped the client extend the FP Technology to new applications. With an eye to streamlining the patent process, we made sure that the client was one of the first applicants to take advantage of the Green Technology Pilot Program, reducing in one instance a projected 21 month wait for a first office action to 2 months. Marshall, Gerstein & Borun is proud of the work it has done as a part of its client's team, and wants to work with you to protect your green technology as we all do our part for a brighter tomorrow.
- Blackhawk Technology Company
- Colloid Environmental Technologies Company (CETCO)
- Colorado State University Research Foundation
- Dynamic Fuels, LLC
- Heartland Technology Partners
- Iowa State University
- OpenCEL LLC
- Tuf-Tite, Inc.
- Tyson Foods, Inc.